There was no way we could let this trend slide without giving it a try ourselves. Let us be the first to tell you… it is totally worth it.
The first step is to get over the bizarre factor that something as lumpy and sort of bland like cottage cheese can be the foundation for a decadent, creamy dessert. Once you’ve passed that step, you’re home free!
This cottage cheese ice cream recipe is made from just four ingredients and a little time in the freezer. No ice cream maker or lengthy ingredient list found here.
Ingredients for Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- Full fat cottage cheese. Obviously there is no milk or cream in this cottage cheese ice cream, so go for a cottage cheese with full fat for an optimal creamy result. The quality of your cottage cheese does matter so go with something mild in flavor and high in fat.
- Raw honey: This is our sweetener of choice. You could also use maple or agave here. We don’t feel right calling this an ice cream recipe without a little sweetness. We felt ¼ cup was enough but tweak this to fit your preferences. Note that this will change the nutrient facts we provide.
- Fresh strawberries: They’re in season and so sweet right now! If you prefer another fruit or can’t find strawberries where you live, you can substitute for banana (which are typically easier to get ahold of) or fruit of your choice.
- Crushed graham cracker: We went for a strawberry cheesecake vibe and for some (us), the best part of a cheesecake is the crust. Depending on the brand you use, these will have some sugar and sweetness to them which also helps make this feel like more of a sweet treat than a savory dairy product. It also gives a crunchy texture to an otherwise creamy and soft ice cream.
How to Make Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
Grab a food processor or blender and blend all of the ingredients. Once blended, add half the mixture to a freezer-safe container (like a metal loaf pan), layer with some strawberries and graham crackers, and add the rest of the mixture on top. Freeze and scoop*… that’s it!
*This will need to sit in the freezer for at least 4 hours before it is “scoopable.”
This cottage cheese ice cream recipe is both healthier and easier than a typical ice cream recipe. A win-win for team cottage!
Why You’ll Love It
Without cream, milk, and processed sugar, this ice cream won’t leave you with a heaviness in your belly or a dreaded sugar crash. Additionally, it’s packed with protein from the cottage cheese and can be ready in a matter of hours.
We still love regular ice cream and think it has a place in a balanced diet, but if you’re someone with a sweet tooth who is constantly trying to figure out what the word “moderation” actually means, this recipe is for you.
You can eat this cottage cheese ice cream pretty often with minimal concern about exceeding sugar or fat recommendations.
Cottage Cheese Ice Cream Recipe
- 16 oz full fat cottage cheese
- ¼ cup raw honey
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- ½ cup crushed graham crackers
In a blender or food processor, add cottage cheese, maple syrup, and strawberries. Blend until smooth.
Transfer half of the mixture into a freezer safe container.
Add some fresh strawberries, and crushed graham crackers on top. Add the rest of the mixture on top, and top with remaining strawberries and crushed graham crackers.
Cover the container and freeze for at least 4 hours. Allow to thaw lightly for 5 minutes before serving.
- We went for a strawberry cheesecake flavor here but there are so many fun flavor options you can do with it: chocolate by adding cocoa powder, peanut or almond butter, blueberries/raspberries, mango, banana, and even throw in other toppings like chocolate chips, coconut flakes, etc.!
- Honey can be substituted for maple syrup.