This post contains links through which we may earn a small commission should you make a purchase from a brand. This in no way affects our ability to objectively critique the products and brands we review.
Evidence Based Research To fulfill our commitment to bringing our audience accurate and insightful content, our expert writers and medical reviewers rely on carefully curated research.
Read Our Editorial Policy
- Overall Best Hair Growth Product: Vegamour GRO Hair Serum
- Best Hair Growth Product for Men: hims Extra Strength Topical Hair Regrowth Solution
- Best Hair Growth Supplement: Nutrafol Vegan Hair Growth Supplement
- Best Hair Growth Product for Postpartum Hair Loss: Act+Acre Cold Processed Apple Stem Cell Scalp Serum
- Best Shampoo To Promote Hair Growth: RevitaLash Thickening Shampoo
- Best Natural Oil for Hair Growth: Wild Growth Hair Oil
- FAQs About Hair Growth
Whether your hair is thinning or falling out from age, stress, poor diet, illness, or hormonal imbalances, hair loss can be worrisome and stress-inducing in and of itself—and severe hair loss can be devastating to self-esteem in both men and women.
While the best way to correct hair loss is from the inside (like with good nutrition and hormone balance), there are plenty of supportive hair regrowth products available on the market that actually work.
In this article, learn more about the pros and cons of the six best hair growth products—including our top pick, Vegamour GRO Hair Serum—plus hair growth supplements, the best hair growth treatments for men, hair growth shampoo, and scalp serums and oils for your thickest and shiniest hair yet.
|Best Overall||Hair Growth for Men||Hair Growth|
|Cost*||$64 for 1oz|
|$28.99 for 2, 2oz bottles|
|$88 for 30 servings (4 capsules/serving)|
Overall Best Hair Growth Product: Vegamour GRO Hair Serum
- Contains antioxidant-rich plant extracts (curcumin stem cell extract, red clover, and mung bean), caffeine, and biotin that soothe the scalp and revitalize hair roots.
- 100% vegan, color-safe, and cruelty-free
- Double-blind clinical study showed 52% more hair density and 76% less shedding after using it for 150 days
- Naturally bergamot-scented
- Leave-in product that can be used morning or night
- Need to use for 90-150 days minimum to see results
Best for: People looking for an easy-to-apply serum that supports hair regrowth and prevents hair loss.
Our top hair regrowth product is Vegamour GRO Hair Serum, a clinically proven serum that strengthens hair and prevents hair loss.
The science-backed ingredients include:
- Mung bean: Can strengthen and stimulate hair follicles, contains copper, an essential element for scalp health
- Curcumin stem cell extract: Rich in antioxidants, curcumin (active compound in turmeric) reduces inflammation and helps to reduce breakage by inhibiting DHT (dihydrotestosterone), a common cause of hair loss
- Red clover: Contains antioxidant and antimicrobial properties, and acts as a natural DHT blocker
- Caffeine: Caffeine can help to stimulate hair follicle growth and counteract the suppressive effects of DHT on increasing hair growth.
No hair growth product will produce results overnight (and any that says so is a scam)—rather, most products need to be used for a minimum of three months, including Vegamour GRO, which is clinically proven to deliver results in 90-150 days.
In a double-blind clinical trial, people using Vegamour GRO saw 52% more hair density and 76% less shedding after using it for 150 days, with some benefits arising after 90 days of use.
However, at $64 per bottle—and you’d need to go through three or four before seeing results—this hair growth serum is not inexpensive.
Best Hair Growth Product for Men: hims Extra Strength Topical Hair Regrowth Solution
- Dermatologist-recommended ingredient (minoxidil)
- Clinically proven to stimulate hair growth and activate hair follicles
- Not to be used by women
- Minoxidil can cause side effects: skin rash or mild burning feeling on the skin
- People with a history of heart disease need to be monitored closely while taking minoxidil
Best for: Men with hair loss or male pattern baldness looking for an affordable and effective hair regrowth solution.
hims Extra Strength Topical Hair Regrowth Solution is among the best hair growth products for men, if not the best hair growth product out there, as it contains a high concentration (5%) of minoxidil.
Minoxidil is the number one dermatologist-recommended ingredient for hair growth—especially to combat hair loss from menopause or female/male pattern baldness, as it blocks DHT secretions.
This hair growth product also works by penetrating deeply and bringing oxygen and nutrients vital for the scalp, increasing blood flow to hair follicles, and extending the hair growth cycle.
While many of the items on this list are also hair growth products for women, the hims solution explicitly states it’s not to be used by women.
Plus, it may cause side effects (like skin rashes or mild burning feeling), and people with a history of heart disease need to be monitored closely while using it.
Best Hair Growth Supplement: Nutrafol Vegan Hair Growth Supplement
- Vegan formula
- Addresses the six root causes of hair loss (stress, nutrition, lifestyle, metabolism, hormones, and aging)
- Contains ashwagandha, curcumin, saw palmetto, and Moldavian dragonhead
- Vitamins A, E, and B12, iodine, zinc, silica, and selenium
- 4-capsule serving
- Not suitable for men, pregnancy, postpartum, or menopause
Best for: Women aged 18-44 who are experiencing hair thinning or breakage; women looking for a vegan hair growth supplement that is clinically backed.
Nutrafol is one of the most well-known hair supplements, with ingredients like curcumin, saw palmetto, ashwagandha, and Moldavian dragonhead to reduce hair shedding, promote natural collagen production, and improve hair growth.
It also contains high doses of nutrients commonly associated with hair growth, including vitamins A, E, and B12, iodine, zinc, silica, and selenium.
Nutrafol Vegan Hair Growth Supplement addresses the six root causes of hair loss (stress, nutrition, lifestyle, metabolism, hormones, and aging), and clinical research by the brand shows that you can expect less shedding and breakage after 1-3 months and visible hair growth and more scalp coverage after 6+ months of use.
This formula is just for women aged 18-44, but Nutrafol also has some of the best hair growth supplements for Men, Postpartum, Women Aged 45+, and a non-vegan formula for women aged 18-44 (contains marine collagen).
Best Hair Growth Product for Postpartum Hair Loss: Act+Acre Cold Processed Apple Stem Cell Scalp Serum
- Safe for use during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Swiss apple stem cells promote and extend the hair growth phase and reduce hair thinning and shedding
- Aloe vera, bamboo and pea extract, and French oak extract hydrate and relieve itchiness and support collagen production
Best for: Women experiencing postpartum hair loss or thinning and want a breastfeeding-safe solution with natural ingredients.
A pregnant woman experiences soaring estrogen and progesterone levels, which allows hair to remain in the growth phase for longer—but after giving birth, these hormone levels have a steep decline, causing hair loss and “baby hairs” around the temples.
While postpartum hair loss is temporary and typically resolves by the time of a child’s first birthday, many women want to remedy the situation sooner.
Act+Acre Cold Processed Apple Stem Cell Scalp Serum is one excellent option for postpartum hair loss, as it’s developed by a board-certified trichologist (hair and scalp specialist) and contains Swiss apple stem cells to promote and extend the hair growth phase and reduce hair thinning and shedding.
This hair growth serum also includes aloe vera to relieve itchy scalps, French oak extract to delay scalp aging, and bamboo and pea extract to hydrate the scalp and support collagen production.
Act+Acre Cold Processed Apple Stem Cell Scalp Serum is safe to use during pregnancy and is free of parabens, silicone, phthalate, synthetic fragrances, and gluten.
Best Shampoo To Promote Hair Growth: RevitaLash Thickening Shampoo
- Best for promoting voluminous hair, cleansing the scalp, and nourishing damaged hair
- Willow bark, panthenol, jojoba oil, ginseng, and loquat leaf hydrate and improve scalp health and hair shaft thickness
- Color-safe, sulfate-free, and vegan
- Expensive for shampoo
Best for: People experiencing thinning or breaking hair, especially if due to over-processing or chemical/environmental stressors.
Thinning hair is not always caused by internal factors—sometimes, a buildup of products or an unhealthy scalp can limit hair growth.
RevitaLash Thickening Shampoo is a great product for optimizing scalp health, as it contains ingredients like willow bark, panthenol, jojoba oil, flax protein, ginseng, and loquat leaf to hydrate, strengthen damaged hair, and increase hair shaft thickness.
However, unlike scalp serums and oils, this shampoo won’t penetrate deeply into the scalp, so it’s best for people who experience lots of buildup, have over-processed hair, or hair damage from chemical/environmental stressors.
Best Natural Oil for Hair Growth: Wild Growth Hair Oil
- All-natural ingredients (essential oils and plant extracts, including coconut, jojoba, olive, rosehip, pomegranate, cocoa, and eucalyptus, lavender, clary sage, Frankincense essential oils, and more)
- Only need to use it 1-3 times per week
- Good for all hair types, including Black and curly hair
- None noted
Best for: People looking for an all-natural, plant-based hair growth oil; people with Black hair or curly hair.
Wild Growth Hair Oil is made up of 100% all-natural plant extracts and essential oils designed to promote hair growth, soften and detangle hair, and nourish damaged hair.
Some of the key ingredients include:
- Coconut oil, olive oil, and jojoba seed oil to nourish and moisturize dry hair and scalps
- Pomegranate and rosehip to hydrate and prevent moisture loss.
- Acerola to boost collagen production
- Clary sage and eucalyptus essential oils soothe skin and reduce inflammation
- Frankincense essential oil strengthens hair and promotes cell turnover
- Peppermint and lavender essential oils naturally cleanse the skin and have antibacterial properties
Wild Growth Hair Oil was founded in the African American communities of Chicago back in 1985 to protect and strengthen Black hair—but it’s also compatible with and used by people of all hair types to nourish and grow healthy hair.
FAQs About Hair Growth
What Causes Hair Loss?
There are many potential causes of hair loss—and over 80% of women will experience hair loss at some point in their lives. The most common causes include:
– Age: Most people experience at least some hair loss or thinning with age.
– Genetics: The most common type of hair loss is called androgenetic alopecia, and is hereditary, often beginning in young adulthood. Androgenetic alopecia can cause male-pattern baldness (hair loss at the temples and top of head) or female-pattern baldness, which is typically gradual thinning all over with a widening hair part.
– Hormones: Pregnancy, postpartum, menopause, hypothyroidism, and PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) can all alter hormones and cause hair loss.
– Autoimmune disorders: Lupus can cause hair thinning, and alopecia areata can cause coin-sized, hairless patches all over the head.
– Stress: The medical term for this is “telogen effluvium,” or when highly stressful situations cause hair loss.
– Nutrient deficiency: Low levels of riboflavin, biotin, folate, vitamin B12, iron, vitamin D, and zinc have all been linked to excessive hair shedding and hair loss.
If you’re not sure why you’re experiencing hair loss, see a board-certified dermatologist or trichologist (hair and scalp specialists) as soon as possible to figure out the root cause.
Which Vitamin Deficiency Causes Hair Loss?
Low levels of riboflavin, biotin, folate, vitamin B12, iron, vitamin D, and zinc have all been linked to excessive hair shedding and hair loss.
How Can I Regrow My Hair Naturally?
Eating a healthy diet rich in B vitamins, zinc, iron, and protein can help with hair regrowth. Maintaining a healthy scalp by massaging the scalp and keeping it clear of excess buildup can encourage healthy hair growth. Hair regrowth products like supplements, hair growth serums, oils, and shampoos can also help to strengthen and regrow hair naturally.