Raise your hand if you love pasta! It’s kind of the best, isn’t it? We love taking a fan favorite and adding protein and veggies to increase nutritional value and keep you full longer.
This veggie pasta bake is made in one pan. The only additional dishes needed are a cutting board, knife, and a cheese grater. Something about having very little clean up makes this healthy pasta bake even tastier.
While regular semolina pasta is delicious and has a place in our hearts, we use garbanzo bean pasta in this recipe to boost the protein and keep you full longer. If you’re interested in cooking up more satiating meals, we invite you to check out our article “Eat Less, Feel Just As Full” where we outline some ingredients you can include to stay full longer while consuming less.
This dish comes together by roasting your favorite veggies in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Next, add in your cooked pasta and tomato sauce of choice. Top with shredded cheese and broil. It’s crispy on top and super satisfying!
This can be adapted to your dietary needs. Use plant-based cheese if needed and substitute with your pasta of choice.
Veggie Pasta Bake
- 1 box Garbanzo Pasta (we use Banza which has 11g of protein per serving)
- 1 large Broccoli Crown (or 2 small)
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion
- 1 Can Tomato Sauce
- 1.5-2 Cups Shredded Cheese of Choice (we used sharp cheddar)
- Spices to taste (salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, dried oregano)
- Boil large part of water for pasta and preheat oven to 350F
- While water is boiling, wash and cut your veggies into bite sized pieces
- Once veggies are prepped, place in a large baking sheet with a high rim and coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix all together using your hands. Cook for 30 minutes or until tender
- Once water is boiled, add in pasta and cook according to box directions
- Once pasta is cooked, drain and add to pan with cooked veggies
- Pour in a can of tomato sauce, oregano, and chili flakes.
- Stir until pasta and vegetables are coated in sauce
- Top your dish with shredded cheese
- Set oven on broil (High) and cook for 5-10 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly
- Serve warm
Do you boil pasta before pasta bake?
Yes. If you don’t boil your pasta prior to adding it to your bake, it will not be cooked.
How long should you cook pasta before baking?
Cook pasta until cooked through according to package instructions (this will vary depending on pasta type).