If you like to eat, eat, eat apples and bananas, then you’ll love, love, love this recipe! It’s made with whole ingredients and comes together in about 25 minutes (clean up not included).
If you’re looking to start introducing solids to your little one, this recipe works well with a baby-led weaning lifestyle and is packed with healthy ingredients to keep your kiddo full until snack time.
While these pancakes are made with tiny hands in mind, they are also parent approved (so eating those leftovers over the kitchen sink won’t be a chore).
These keep well in the refrigerator for 3 days and can be stored in the freezer wedged between pieces or parchment paper in an airtight container for 1 month.
About the ingredients:
- Rolled oats: With good amounts of fiber, protein, and carbohydrates, oats make the perfect base for these filling pancakes
- Whole Milk: You can certainly substitute a non-dairy milk of your choice. We opt for full fat whole milk in this recipe for the calcium and fat benefits. We haven’t tried it ourselves, but we believe oat milk would work well here due to its creaminess
- Eggs: This helps bind the pancakes together and adds protein to these toddler-friendly pancakes
- 1 ripe banana: This adds sweetness and texture to the pancake. Since we do not add any sugar or sweetener, a ripe banana is a must. Using an underripe banana will have too firm a tendency and will lack sweetness. If you don’t have a banana that fits the bill, you can substitute ½ cup of no sugar-added applesauce (this keeps us on theme too!)
- Cinnamon: a perfect match for the apple. This adds depth of flavor to our toddler-friendly pancakes
- Peeled and grated apple: While the skin contains lots of vitamins, we grate our apple in this recipe to make it more toddler-friendly and easier to consume. We recommend using a sweet apple like fuji, gala, or honeycrisp.
Meal-prepping for little ones (especially if you have multiple) can be overwhelming. We hope having this recipe in your back pocket gives you a little help preparing yummy and healthy dishes for your kiddo. Enjoy!
Toddler Friendly Apple and Banana Pancakes
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 ripe banana (or ½ cup applesauce)
- Cinnamon to taste
- ½ of a sweet apple peeled and grated
- Butter for frying
In a blender or food processor, blend all the ingredients except the apple
While this is blending, peel and grate ½ of an apple
Squeeze the excess liquid from the apple using your hands and discard the liquid
Add your grated apple into the batter and mix
Bring a pan to medium heat and add butter
Add batter to pan and cook the pancakes until golden (about 3 minutes each side)
- ½ cup of applesauce can be substituted for a ripe banana if you don’t have one on hand.
- Plant-based milk can be used instead of whole milk if needed