What does mango salsa go well with?
What doesn’t this mango salsa go well with?! Because of the fresh and bright ingredients, we love this as a summer staple. Also, some of the ingredients, like mango, will be tastier and more readily available in the summer months.
We love to pair this with proteins like fish, tofu, and chicken on top of a salad, or with a side of tortilla chips. You can easily pair mango salsa with burrito bowls, coconut rice, and more. This mango salsa recipe also batches really well. You can make a large bowl of this and it will be gone by the end of the meal.
About the ingredients
- Tomato: You can use whichever tomatoes you have available to you. Cherry tomatoes work really well here as they are full of flavor and small. Tomatoes are in peak season in the summer months.
- Mango: Like tomatoes, mangos come in multiple varieties. Honey or Ataulfo mangos are typically less fibrous and sweeter. If you can find them in your local supermarket, we highly recommend them!
- Red onion: We find that ½ of a small-ish red onion is the right amount, but we know this can be controversial. If you prefer less, more, or to omit entirely, the choice is yours
- Cilantro: Another divisive ingredient, cilantro is, in our opinion, a must in this recipe. Cilantro helps make this mango salsa taste, well, salsa-y. Fresh is optimal, but you could alternatively use dried if it’s all that is available to you.
- Habanero pepper: HOT, HOT, HOT. This is one of the hottest peppers you can buy, so don’t be deceived by their size. If you prefer, jalapeno and serrano are a tier or two down on the heat scale.
- Limes: Mango and lime are a dazzling match. We use 3 limes in this recipe because it really brings all of the other ingredients to life. Alternatively, you can buy pre-bottled lime juice (around 5 TBSP)
- Salt and pepper: Use to your taste preferences
- Avocado oil: a splash of oil helps make this salsa cohesive and adds a little fat to the overall flavor profile.
How long is mango salsa good in the fridge?
We recommend storing this in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. This batches really well and over time the ingredients marinate in the lime juice and avocado oil which brings out even more flavor.
This mango salsa recipe has a delicious balance of flavor—sweet, heat, acidity, and freshness. It is delicious all on its own but also makes a great side dish to all of your favorite summer foods. Enjoy!
Mango Salsa Recipe
- 1 Tomato
- 2 cups Mango
- 1 Bell Pepper
- ½ Red Onion
- ½ cup Cilantro
- ½ Habanero pepper
- 3 Limes
- 2 tsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil (Primal Kitchen)
- Peel and slice a mango into small chunks. Add to a bowl.
- Chop up red onion, cilantro, tomato, bell pepper, and habanero pepper. Add to a bowl.
- Add in lime juice, rice wine vinegar, avocado oil, and salt/pepper to taste.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve
- Calories per Serving: ~98-99 (approximate)
- Carbohydrates per Serving: ~7.9-9.5g (approximate)
- Protein per Serving: ~0.6-0.75g (approximate)
- Fat per Serving: ~5.1-5.1g (approximate)
- Fiber per Serving: ~1.15-1.275g (approximate)