This post contains links through which we may earn a small commission should you make a purchase from a brand. This in no way affects our ability to objectively critique the products and brands we review.
We love tacos! In fact, we love pretty much anything we can eat with our hands. These turkey-filled, lettuce tacos are our go-to for a refreshing, low-carb, high-protein meal.
Lettuce wraps may receive some bad press for being tortilla impersonators. Trust us, we know that there is no comparison between a warm, fresh tortilla and a piece of crunchy lettuce, but with the right fillings, we think that these lettuce tacos are a great way to meet your nutrition goals without sacrificing on flavor.
What kind of lettuce is used for tacos?
We used romaine lettuce, which makes for long tacos. We found that romaine tends to be a sturdier lettuce that can hold lots of toppings with less risk of “breakability.”
Alternatively, you could use butter lettuce that is much more delicate but closer to a corn tortilla in size.
What to serve in taco lettuce wraps?
This is the best part! We used ground turkey, tomato, onion, peppers, spices, and garnishes like lime, cilantro, and greek yogurt.
We advise you to steer your own lettuce “boat” here. If you’re used to eating tortilla wrapped tacos, we encourage you to keep your fillings as close to your preferences that your nutrition goals will allow.
Other delicious ideas we suggest are corn, pickled jalapenos, and guacamole.
This lettuce taco recipe is a delicious item for weeknight dinners, and also packs well as a work lunch. We recommend storing your filling separately and bringing your lettuce cups along with you. When you’re ready to enjoy, simply warm up your filling and add to your lettuce tacos!
The flavors in this lettuce taco recipe can be adjusted to suit your preferences. Ground beef, chicken, or even stewed beans and lentils could be used in place of the turkey meat.
Taco Tuesday is never more than 6 days away. We suggest you stock up on the ingredients now so you can enjoy these lettuce tacos when the time comes!
- 1 lb ground turkey (95% lean)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 lime (juiced)
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tomato (diced)
- 2 packs of Bare Bones Beef Bone Broth Instant Beverage Mix
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, separated into individual leaves
- Spices to taste (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne powder)
- Fage 0% Greek Yogurt (sour cream substitute)
- Add in Bare Bones Beef Broth with water and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally
- Add ground turkey and place on medium heat
- Add in bell pepper, diced tomato, and onion, and turn on low heat, then cover
- Add in garlic and seasonings to taste, tomato paste, garlic, and lime juice, then let simmer on low heat.
- Let cool and place into romaine lettuce scoops
- Optional: Top with a dollop of Fage Greek Yogurt 0%, salsa and cilantro