There’s something about a berry banana smoothie that just screams summer and we’re here for it. This smoothie is special because it’s extra packed with protein. We like to squeeze in protein wherever we can – smoothies, salads, protein bowls, you name it. Protein is what helps keep you full for longer. This is key in a smoothie if it’s serving as a meal replacement or you’re not planning to eat again for a while.
We use Orgain Organic Protein Plant-Based Protein Powder in their vanilla bean flavor because it is mellow and balances well with the berry and banana and has 21 grams of protein per serving! This is a plant-based protein powder made from pea protein, brown rice protein, and chia seeds. We also add a ¼ cup scoop of greek yogurt for an approximate 5 grams of protein, depending on brand. That’s around 26 grams of protein for a smoothie! Some full meals won’t pack this much protein.
The idea of a smoothie may be mistaken for an unhealthy treat as it is often loaded with added sugars and juices. We encourage you to keep drinking the refreshing drink you love and give it a nutritious spin with our recipe. Small modifications like adding in protein and keeping sweeteners as natural as possible (we use honey) allow you to keep enjoying your favorite treats, like a berry banana smoothie, all summer long.
If you’re not a fan of all berries, you could certainly make this a classic strawberry-banana or even go for the rarer blueberry banana smoothie. Berries, in general, carry lots of antioxidants so you can’t go wrong.
About the Ingredients in Our Berry Banana Smoothie
- Frozen mixed berries: Using frozen fruit will give you a thicker, creamier texture. You can use fresh if that’s what you have on hand, but your result will be a bit runnier. You can add 1 cup of ice to get a thicker and colder result.
- Frozen banana: Same theory as above. If all you have are fresh bananas, go for it. We suggest you choose the ripest of the bunch for optimal sweetness
- Orgain Organic Protein Plant-Based Protein Powder, Vanilla Bean flavor: This is a plant-based protein with impressive nutritional facts. 21 grams of protein per serving is no joke. Plus, we really love the mild but yummy vanilla bean flavor
- Honey: A natural sweetener is our preference here. If you prefer maple or agave syrup, these will work too.
- Unsweetened almond milk: Again, we are trying to monitor unnecessary sugar in this recipe. You can use your preferred milk of choice or water which would lessen the calories
- Nonfat, plain Greek yogurt: Most flavored yogurts (even Greek) contain added sugars (you’d be surprised how much). We suggest going unsweetened and let the fruit and honey run the sweetness department.
Berry Banana Smoothie
- 1 cup of frozen mixed berries
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 scoop of Orgain Organic Protein Plant-Based Protein Powder, Vanilla Bean flavor
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender.
Blend on high and stop to scrape the sides until smooth if necessary.
Serve and enjoy.
- We highly recommend you stick to frozen fruit but if you don’t have any, use fresh fruit and add about 1 cup of ice.
- If your smoothie is too thick, you can add more almond milk.
- If it is too thin, you can add ice or more frozen berries and blend again.